Shakshuka- aka Baked Eggs
This baked egg recipe, otherwise known as shakshuka is a traditional Israeli breakfast dish, which has quickly become a classic around here too. With a smokey tomato base and perfectly baked eggs it is equally good when served up as a dinner meal!
Ingredients (serves 2):
1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
2 red onion
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1 can chopped tomatoes
2 cooked chicken breast (pulled apart)
- Dice onion, slice the red peppers and finely grate the garlic.
- Place a large cast iron skillet on the heat, add a little oil. Add the onion, peppers and garlic.
- Begin to fry until the onions begins to wilt down. Add the spices and herbs and fry to coat all the veg.
- Preheat the oven to 170c.
- Once all the veg has cooked down and it begins to colour add the tomato paste and mix through the veg.
- Cook the tomato paste for 4-5 minutes then add the chopped tomatoes. Cook for a further 20 minutes on a low heat.
- Add the pulled chicken and mix through the sauce.
- Make 4 wells in the top of the dish and crack the eggs into them.
- Place the pan into the preheated oven and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the egg white is cooked and the egg yolk is still slightly runny.
- Remove from the oven and serve!
Latest posts by Lisa Scheepers (see all)
- Where to Start with Fat Loss? - December 21, 2022
- Should You Exercise with a Hangover? - December 16, 2022
- How To Get More Sleep - November 21, 2022