Shakshuka- aka Baked Eggs
This baked egg recipe, otherwise known as shakshuka is a traditional Israeli breakfast dish, which has quickly become a classic around here too. With a smokey tomato base and perfectly baked eggs it is equally good when served up as a dinner meal!
Ingredients (serves 2):
1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
2 red onion
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1 can chopped tomatoes
2 cooked chicken breast (pulled apart)
- Dice onion, slice the red peppers and finely grate the garlic.
- Place a large cast iron skillet on the heat, add a little oil. Add the onion, peppers and garlic.
- Begin to fry until the onions begins to wilt down. Add the spices and herbs and fry to coat all the veg.
- Preheat the oven to 170c.
- Once all the veg has cooked down and it begins to colour add the tomato paste and mix through the veg.
- Cook the tomato paste for 4-5 minutes then add the chopped tomatoes. Cook for a further 20 minutes on a low heat.
- Add the pulled chicken and mix through the sauce.
- Make 4 wells in the top of the dish and crack the eggs into them.
- Place the pan into the preheated oven and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the egg white is cooked and the egg yolk is still slightly runny.
- Remove from the oven and serve!
[av_image src=’https://freshfitnessfood.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Andy-Slater-Executive-Chef.png’ attachment=’2805′ attachment_size=’full’ align=’center’ styling=” hover=” link=” target=” caption=” font_size=” appearance=” overlay_opacity=’0.4′ overlay_color=’#000000′ overlay_text_color=’#ffffff’ animation=’no-animation’ custom_class=” admin_preview_bg=”][/av_image]
Why not let Andy do the cooking for you?
[av_button label=’Check out our meal plans here’ link=’manually,http://https://freshfitnessfood.com/packages/’ link_target=’_blank’ size=’large’ position=’center’ icon_select=’no’ icon=’ue800′ font=’entypo-fontello’ color=’grey’ custom_bg=’#444444′ custom_font=’#ffffff’ custom_class=” admin_preview_bg=”]