The Ultimate Christmas Gingerbread Recipe
As Christmas approaches and we all get more excited for the upcoming festivities, and spending time with loved ones, there can also be an onset of stress for many about the volume of festive food that shrouds the season. While we will always encourage a moderative and balanced approach to any season, indulging in your normal Christmas treats, with a more wholesome spin, is a tempting midway point.
Join us as we unwrap the secret to a hearty but healthier Christmas with our sensational Gingerbread recipe, designed to ignite your taste buds.
- 300g wholewheat flour
- 170g honey
- 60g brown sugar
- 30g applesauce
- 15g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp all-spice
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of fine sea salt
Makes approximately 28 gingerbread biscuits
- Place the honey, brown sugar, and butter in a saucepan over low-medium heat until the mixture is well combined and smooth, and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Mix all the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, baking powder, and salt) in a large mixing bowl until well combined.
- Gradually add the honey, sugar and butter mixture to the dry ingredients, mixing with a fork, then add the egg. Continue mixing with a fork for as long as possible.
- Once the dough becomes stiffer, knead it by hand until smooth.
- Form a disc with the dough, wrap it in clingfilm, and refrigerate for around 3-4 hours, until the dough is firmer.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC, and line 2-3 baking trays with parchment paper.
- Split the dough into two equal portions, keeping one portion wrapped and refrigerated.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough you’re using to around 5mm thick all the way through.
- Cut the dough into whatever shapes you would like – using cookie cutters, or working freehand!
- Repeat with the second batch of dough, kneading and rolling it out. Cut more cookies and repeat until you have used up all the dough.
- Bake each cookie batch for 5 to 7 minutes. Let cool on the tray for at least 10 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
- Decorate as desired.
Try your hand at a gingerbread house, making gingerbread people, or a giant gingerbread family for little ones to more easily (and more messily) have a go at decorating and getting into the festive spirit!
These don’t just have to be eaten either! They also make a tasty decoration by piercing a hole in your desired gingerbread shape before baking, threading a ribbon through it, and hanging it on the Christmas tree, or somewhere else in the house – out of reach of any young children or pets though.
Fresh Fitness Food provides personalised meal plans delivered straight to your door. We ensure not only that you have the nutrients you need to support your goals, but also that you have the time usually spent shopping, cooking and washing up, to engage in your favourite festive activities. To discuss which nutrition plan is right for you, book a call with our in-house nutrition team here.
Order today and start smashing your goals with personalised nutrition!
Get £60 off a 5-day trial with code: BLOG60. Start your trial here