Sweet and Sour Tofu with Aubergine and Rice Noodles
This meal brings an explosion of flavour with natural sweetness and a warm chilli flavour. Tofu provides an excellent source of plant-based protein and is a great alternative to a takeaway.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 200g Aubergine (cut into 1cm cubes)
- 200g Tofu (firm, cut into 3 cm cubes)
- 15g Cornflour
- 1 tbsp Gochujang
- 1 tsp Tamarind
- 1 tsp Maple syrup
- 40ml Black Vinegar (substitute with rice vinegar if unavailable)
- 100g Shiitake mushrooms
- 100g Button mushrooms
- ½ Spring onion (finely chopped)
- 1 Red chilli (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp Chives
- 60g Baby spinach
- 80g Carrot (spiralised)
- 80g Courgette (spiralised)
- 100g Rice noodles (approximately 200g cooked weight)
- Mix the cornflour, tamarind, maple syrup and black vinegar together in a bowl.
- Coat the tofu and the aubergine in the mixture.
- Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan over a low-medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the tofu and aubergine and cook, stirring occasionally, for approximately 12-15 minutes, or until the tofu and aubergine start to crisp. Remove from the heat when crispy.
- In a separate pan, heat a little oil over a low-medium heat and add the mushrooms. Cook these for 10-15 minutes, until softened and starting to brown.
- Whilst these are cooking, spiralise your veg.
- Next, bring a saucepan of water to the boil. When the water is boiling, add rice noodles and cook until soft, for approximately 8-10 minutes, depending on the type you are using (check the back of the packet to be sure). When cooked, drain, rinse with cold water, and leave to the side.
- Serve with baby spinach, and garnish with fresh chilli and spring onion.